INFORMATICA POWER CENTER 8.X Course Content:
The Course teaches the fundamentals of Informatica Power center 8.x platform, through online training and numerous hands-on lab exercises. Students will gain a clear understanding of the product and acquire the solid foundation needed to make them successful Power center developers.
Course Duration: 30 hours
Prerequisites: SQL Basics. Software: Informatica, Oracle, Toad
Data Warehouse Concepts:
- Introduction to Data warehouse
- What is Data warehouse and why we need Data warehouse
- OLTP vs ODS vs Data warehouse
- Dimensional modeling
- Star schema/Snowflake schema/Galaxy schema
- Dimensions / Facts tables.
- Slowly Changing Dimensions and its types.
- Data Staging Area
- Different types of Dimensions and Facts.
- Data Mart vs Data warehouse
- DWH Approaches: Ralph Kimball’s vs Bill Inmon’s
Informatica Power Center 8.x:
Informatica 8.x Server/Client Installation on Windows/Unix.
Power Center Architecture and Components:
- Introduction to informatica Power Center
- PowerCenter 8.x architecture
- PowerCenter 7 architecture vs PowerCenter 8 architecture
- Extraction, Transformation and loading process
- Power Center tools: Designer, Workflow manager, Workflow Monitor, Repository Manager.
- Repository Server and agent
- Repository maintenance
- Repository Server Administration Console
- Security, Repository, privileges and folder permissions
- Metadata extensions
Power Center Developer Topics:
Lab 1- Create a Folder.
Source Object Definitions
- Source types
- Source properties
Lab 2- Analyze Source Data, Import Source.
Target Object Definitions
- Target types
- Target properties
Lab 3- Import Targets
- Transformation types and views
- Transformation features and ports
- Informatica functions and data types
- Mapping components
- Source Qualifier transformation
- Pre SQL and Post SQL
- Mapping validation
- Data flow rules
Lab 4 –Create a Mapping, session, and workflow
- Workflow Tools
- Workflow Structure and configuration
- Workflow Tasks
- Workflow Design and properties
- Session Task properties
- Session components
- Transformation overrides
- Session partitions
- Workflow Monitor views
- Monitoring a Server
- Actions initiated from the workflow Monitor
- Gantt chart View and Task view.
Lab 6 – Start and Monitor a Workflow
- Debugger features
- Debugger windows
- Tips for using the Debugger
Lab 7 –The Debugger
- Expression, variable ports, storing previous record values.
Different type of Ports
Input/ output / Variable ports and Port Evaluation
Lab 8- Expression and Filter
- Aggregation function and expressions
- Aggregator properties
- Using sorted data
- Incremental Aggregation
- Joiner types
- Joiner conditions and properties
- Joiner usage and Nested joins
Lab 9 – Aggregator, Heterogeneous join
Working with Flat files
Importing and editing flat file sources & Targets
Lab Session – Use Flat file as source.
- Sorter properties
- Sorter limitations
Lab 10 – Sorter
- Propagate Attributes.
- Shared Folder and Working with shortcuts.
- Informatica built in functions.
- Lookup principles
- Lookup properties
- Lookup techniques
- Connected and unconnected lookups.
Lab 11 – Basic Lookup
- Row type indicators
- Row loading operations
- Constraint- based loading
- Rejected row handling options
Lab 12 – Deleting Rows
Update Strategy transformation
Update strategy expressions
Lab 13 – Data Driven Inserts and Rejects
- Using a router
- Router groups
Lab 14 – Router
- Usage and techniques
Lab 15 – Straight Load
Lab 16 – Conditional Lookups
- Heterogeneous target types
- Target type conversions and limitations
Lab 17 – Heterogeneous Targets
- Functionality and Advantages
- Mapplet types and structure
- Mapplet limitations
Lab 18 – Mapplets
- Promoting and copying transformations
Lab 19 – Reusable transformations
Sequence Generator transformation
- Using a sequence Generator
- Sequence Generator properties
- Dynamic lookup theory
- Usage and functionality
Lab 20 – Dynamic Lookup
Concurrent and sequential Workflows
- Concurrent Workflows
- Sequential Workflows
- Stopping, Starting and suspending tasks and workflows
Lab 21 – Sequential Workflow
- Union Transformation
- Rank transformation
- Normalizer transformation
- Custom Transformation
- Transformation Control transformation
- XML Transformation
- SQL Trasnformation
- Stored Procedure Transformation
- External procedure Transformation
Lab Sessions- For above transformations
• Overview of Error Handling Topics
Lab 22 – Error handling fatal and non Fatal
- Even Raise and Wait
Lab Sessions – With Workflow tasks
Team Based Development
- Version Control
- Checking out and checking in objects.
- Overview of System Environment
- Identifying Bottlenecks.
- Optimizing Source, Target, mapping, Transformation, session.
Mapping Parameters and Variables
- Introduction to Mappng Variables and Parameters
- Creating Mapping Variables and Updating Variables
- Creating Parameter File and associating file to a Session
- System Variables
- Variables functions
Lab 26 - Override Mapping Variable with Parameter Files
Lab 27 – Dynamically Updating a Source Qualifier with Mapping Variable
Slowly Changing Dimensions Type 1, Type 2, Type 3
Lab 28– SCD 1, 2, 3
Reusable Workflow Tasks
- Worklets Limitation
Lab 29 – Create Worklets using Tasks
Command Line Interface ( PMCMD)
- Overview of PMCMD and functions.
Lab 30 : PMCMD
- Copying Objects
- Objects export and import (XML)
- Deployment groups
- Using Informatica
- Unix crontab, third party tools.
Lab 30: Informatica Project- Case Study
- Sales Data mart.
- Loading Dimensions and Facts.